Combining industry-leading education and training, extensive experience in both research and hands-on care, and a compassionate and patient-centered approach, Dr. Buckminster Farrow, MD, has established himself as a leader in delivering unparalleled surgical care in Houston and Katy, Texas. Throughout his career, he has built up a reputation as one of the best surgeons addressing many different types of hernia and gallbladder issues, as well as other general surgery problems.
Dr. Farrow graduated from the University of Michigan with a Bachelor of Science in biology and philosophy, then attended MCP Hahnemann School of Medicine in Philadelphia. After graduating magna cum laude, Dr. Farrow continued his education with a general surgery residency at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, and was awarded a Masters of Medical Science degree from their Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, while completing a postdoctoral research fellowship at the same school.
In addition to his impressive training and research positions, Dr. Farrow served as a staff surgeon at the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center (MEDVAMC) in Houston and an assistant professor in the surgery department at Baylor College of Medicine before joining Southwest Surgical Associates in 2009. He has also published numerous scientific articles and book chapters on a wide range of topics. Dr. Farrow is a fellow, diplomat, or member of numerous medical associations, including the American Board of Surgery, the American College of Surgeons, the Texas Medical Association, and the Americas Hernia Society.
Dr. Farrow has received numerous awards and recognition for his teaching, research and outstanding patient care. Some of these awards include the following:
- Best General Surgeon, Memorial Living Magazine
- Best General Surgeon, Houstonia Magazine
- “You Got Caught Caring” Award, Memorial Hermann Memorial City Hospital
- Physician of the Year, Memorial Hermann Katy Hospital
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, MCP-Hahnemann School of Medicine
- Outstanding Surgical PGY-1 House Officer, UTMB
- Outstanding Surgical Resident, UTMB
- First Place Basic Science Research, Singleton Surgical Society
- UTMB Resident of the Year (student selected)
- American Cancer Society, Dan Duncan Cancer Center Junior Faculty Award
- Vitals.com Patient’s Choice Award
- Vitals.com On-Time Physician Award
- Vitals.com Compassionate Doctor Award
When Dr. Farrow isn’t taking great care of his patients, he enjoys reading, smoking meat, and hiking with his family. He volunteers with Christ clinic, Open Door Mission, and Faith in Practice taking annual mission trips to Guatemala. Dr. Farrow is also a lieutenant commander in the Navy Reserve.
Dr. Farrow provides expert, compassionate, and individually tailored care to all of his patients. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Farrow online or by phone today!